With over 15 years of experience, our Dispute Resolution department is well-versed in handling complex commercial cases, being also specialized in high-value administrative and fiscal disputes and VAT refunds.
Our litigation team is custom-designed to address our clients’ specific needs efficiently, and for that purpose we have assembled the right blend of attorneys for each particular case.
We take great pride in the fact that we treat with high attention and evaluate every aspect of the matter we are presented with and assign the right combination of experience and expertise required to win the case and that is reflected in the way we conduct the investigation, the way we assess the details of each case, the way we document the case and collaborate with experts to ensure our success.
We assisted and advised companies (both local and international) and individuals in cases covering commercial, civil, intellectual property, labor, administrative and fiscal disputes, matters pertaining to commercial agreements, insurance, construction and real estate, competition, antitrust and unfair competition and public acquisitions. We represented Clients spanning from amicable dispute settlements to all levels of courts, from the lower court to the Supreme Court.
Acting on behalf of a variety of Clients, our main objective is to measurably minimize the litigation risks for our Clients. However disputes cannot sometimes be avoided, and then is where litigation is rather more advisable in order to secure a strategic advantage, and that is exactly where we are excelling.
Our trial experience and oral advocacy capabilities recommend us, possessing both practical and commercial awareness, which in turn allow Clients to entrust us with sensitive or complex business disputes, that we can handle successfully due to our team of specialized lawyers, that bring forward a professional, flexible and cost-effective approach.
- Corporate Disputes
- Commercial and Civil Disputes
- Debt Recovery
- Alternative Disputes Resolutions
- Administrative Disputes
- Fiscal Disputes
- Real Estate Disputes
- Professional Liability Litigation
- Labor law & Employment Disputes
- Intellectual Property Disputes
- Competition Disputes
- Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Judgments
- Family law Disputes
Tier 3 – Restructuring and Insolvency
“Pavel, Margarit & Associates Romanian Law Firm impresses with its flexibility and quick access to staff and partners at all times. With over 16 years experience in the market, the very helpful and accessible Managing Partner Radu Pavel is the main contact. Areas of expertise include refinancings, distressed asset sales, pre-insolvency procedures and related litigations and debt recovery actions. The Romanian Law firm represents creditors and debtors, and has been particularly active in the manufacturing, natural resources, and real estate and construction sectors.”
“We value the practice for flexibility and quick access to staff and partners at all times.”
’We find the Senior Partner Radu Pavel very helpful and accessible.“
Tier 4 – Real Estate and Construction
” Pavel, Margarit & Associates Romanian Law Firm is noted for its great experience in real estate and construction. The Romanian Law firm regularly assists on corporate structures including joint ventures between land owners and developers, as well as asset and portfolio acquisitions. This experience encompasses a wide range of asset classes including mining and natural resources, retail, residential, industrial and hospitality.”
‘‘Pavel, Margarit and Associates team of lawyers has great experience in real estate and construction practice and they are valued on the Romanian market for their promptness, great attention to detail and making the matter at hand genuinely understandable for the client.’’
‘‘Radu Pavel, the managing partner, is a very attentive, timely and an experienced real estate lawyer.’’
The Guide gives special mention to the Managing Partner Radu Pavel, recognized as a leading lawyer by Legal 500, for being very attentive, timely and an experienced lawyer in Romania.
Source Legal500 2022, Real Estate and Construction
International Financial Law Review IFLR1000 – 2022
In the 2022 IFLR 1000 Edition, for Banking and Finance practice area, client testimonials describe Pavel, Margarit & Associates Romanian Law Firm as follows:
- “I liked the progressive attitude and spirit, the team has a proactive approach to solving the client’s problems.”
- “Knowledgeable, attention to detail, proactive, problem-solvers, excellent service.”
- “We knew that we could rely on Mr. Radu Pavel and his team of specialised lawyers at any time, understanding the needs and challenges of the industry. “
In the Insolvency practice area, the clients’ testimonials include inter alia:
- “They deliver a full range of services and helped us identify and manage legal risk.”
For the M&A practice area, the assessment from IFLR 1000 guide includes:
- “Excellent service, attention to detail, proactive, knowledgeable.”
- “I can use three words to describe them: dedication, credibility and perseverance.”
- “Promptness, professionalism, attention to detail and the needs of my company.”
On project development, Infrastructure and Transport domain, the clients’ testimonials include:
- “Very well attuned to local issues that we were facing. Very engaged with the team that travelled to Romania and worked many hours daily with that team. Gave sound advice in attempting to move the project forward.”
- “Fast reaction – good communication.”
Source IFLR 1000 2022
GLOBAL LAW EXPERTS – DISPUTE RESOLUTION;
RECOMMENDED ATTORNEY (2017-2019)
Pavel, Margarit and Associates is the only Romanian law firm recommended by Global Law Experts in UK, London for the Dispute resolution area of practice.
Global Law Experts (GLE) is the premier guide to leading attorneys throughout the world and the only organization to recommend just one law firm in each key practice area and country.
The Practice Area Guides issued by Global Law Experts bring the expert guidance directly from those lawyers within that chosen specialism, which ensures that the clients will be receiving support from a lawyer who has showcased his or her expertise.
Attorney at law, PHDc, Managing Partner of the Law Firm Radu Catalin Pavel is the only attorney recommended for Romania on Dispute Resolution area of practice by the famous directory Global Law Experts from London, United Kingdom.
- Assisted and successfully represented a leading operational mining exploration and development company in Romania, in a commercial dispute involving a real estate mortgage enforcement file, valued at EUR 3 MIL.
- Assisted and represented the shareholder of a leading Romanian retail group of companies owning children products stores and a pharmaceutical chain, in an appeal against the enforcement measures initiated by a bank against the shareholder, acting as guarantor of the loan taken by the group of companies amounting to over EUR 3 MIL.
- Assisted and successfully represented, the shareholders and directors of a major metallurgical products factory as plaintiffs, in an appeal against the enforcement measures started by a loan servicing company, as assignee of a receivable of EUR 2.5 MIL taken over by the bank, that started the enforcement measures against the assets of the plaintiffs in an attempt to take control over goods.
- Assisted and represented a leading operational mining exploration and development company in Romania, in a complex fiscal and administrative claim which was raised in a EUR 2.5 MIL tax dispute regarding the reimbursement of VAT resulting from several exports of ore concentrates.
- Assisted an AIM-listed mining company, the only active operating investor in the mining industry in Romania, in a complex EUR 2 MIL cross-border shareholder litigation against a British Virgin Islands company and the Romanian Trade Registry. The shareholder was successfully excluded from the company.
- Assisted a global public listed retail investing and trading platform in a defamation and reputation management dispute. We advised our Client against a gambler who altered the its reputation in the online environment.
- Assisted and successfully represented a leading operational mining exploration and development company in Romania, in a fiscal dispute in value of EUR 1.5 MIL against the Ministry of Public Finances – National Agency for Tax Fiscal Administration, involving the abusive enforcement of a Precautionary Measures Decision.
- Assisted and represented a major company in the domain of ore extraction, part of a well-known group with a high reputation on the international market, in a complex fiscal and administrative claim against the National Agency for Fiscal Administration, for denying the VAT reimbursement request filed by the company. Our services included assistance during administrative pre-litigious proceedings, as well as successfully represented the client before the Administrative Court of Appeal, as well as at the High Court of Cassation and Justice.
- Assisted an important Romanian bank listed on the Bucharest Stock Exchange, on behalf of its subsidiary with drafting a memorandum on the subsidiary`s litigations.
- Assisted and represented, a leading Romanian retail group of companies owning children products stores and a pharmaceutical chain, in an eviction claim from a commercial space, initiated by the owner of one of the largest commercial spaces in Romania.
- Assisted a major investor in the domain of ore extraction, in a commercial dispute against a services supplier for damages based on legal tort liability for misinforming public authorities.
- Assisted and successfully represented the former director of a large telecom company, in an administrative and financial dispute in value of EUR 1 MILL against the National Agency for Fiscal Administration, involving a request for personal liability and a request for damages by NAFA for the losses of the company of which he is acted as a director.
- Assisted and represented a major Romanian real estate company, in a file regarding a litigation claim. Our Client wanted to recover from the owner the investment made with the renovation of the building rented that he was prior evicted from. We succeeded implementing a suitable strategy in the appeal phase in order to recover our client’s investments.
- Assisted and successfully represented a major Romanian metallurgical factory before the court in order to recover debts originating in a sale-purchase agreement which was cancelled by the Court.
- Assisted and represented a Romanian real estate developer in a dispute resolution case against Bucharest Fiscal Authorities in front of the Appeal Court of Bucharest for the cancellation of a Fiscal Decision prior to the fiscal inspection that the client underwent after which he requested the VAT refund. We demonstrated that the client was entitled to ask the VAT refund and cancel the fiscal decision issued by the Fiscal Authorities, managing to obtain the cancellation of the fiscal decision through which the client was obliged to pay supplementary VAT in amount of EUR 1 MIL and established through an expertise the real value that the client was entitled to be refunded by the State Authorities.
- Assisted and represented a major Romanian iron and steel manufacturer, in a case having as object cancellation of the abusive enforcement procedures started by a leasing company and recoup the vehicles abusively taken back by the leasing company.
- Assisted and represented a major real estate developer in Bucharest in a claim filed by another Romanian real estate developer, having as object termination of several sale-purchase and rent agreements. We successfully obtained a court investigation for evidence and inventory for all the real estate spaces object of the claims and succeeded to reject the ungrounded claims of over EUR 2 MIL against the client.
- Assisted and represented a former director of a major privatized steel and iron manufacturer in Romania, in a court file having as object pecuniary claims in value of over EUR 3MIL. The pecuniary claims were requested by the plaintiff with regard to the activity and contracts signed by the Committee of Directors. We demonstrated that our client was not involved in any fraudulent activity during the director mandate and member of the Committee of Directors, managing to successfully reject the claims.
- Assisted and represented an American citizen in all courts of law, until the higher degree one, in different file cases having as object property action (revendication) for the recovery of a building situated in the center of Bucharest, valued at over EUR 1MIL, that was used by the Romanian State. We demonstrated the legality of the property documents held by our client, which successfully leaded to wining the case.
- Assisted and represented a major mining company in Romania in several litigation files against another Romanian mining company, having as object claims and mortgage in value of more than EUR 3MIL. Our role was to protect the client interest against abusive claims.
- Advised, assisted and represented a leading Romanian real estate developer that developed a luxury residential project in the Carpathian Mountains in Romania, in several dispute resolution cases having as object the resolution of the presale agreements, amounting to over EUR 1 MIL. Our role was to identify the non-fulfillment of the obligations of the Promissory Buyers, in order to reject the claims retroactively.
- Assisted and represented one of the international leading Italian construction companies, in his capacity as General Contractor in a dispute resolution case arising from a Drilling Execution of Works Agreement, having as object the works for the construction of road infrastructure closed with the Beneficiary, a Romanian branch of a Spanish construction, infrastructure and services company. We drafted a transaction that was signed by the two parties, through which was settled the dispute, the client successfully obtaining the debt from the debtor.